Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sprout Film Festival

Alison and I recently attended the Sprout Film Festival. This traveling film festival is supported by the awesome Sprout, a non-profit organization based in New York. The short films showcased during this event are made by and deal with issues related to people with developmental disabilities. This is one of my favorite films featured at this year's festival in my hometown:



This is a fantastic idea. On the rare occasions that people with developmental disabilities are depicted in film, they are often played by people without developmental disabilities (a la Sean Penn in I Am Sam). The films showcased by the Sprout Film Festival are making huge steps to make people view developmental disabilities in a different light. I so, so enjoyed the films at this year's festival. Please check this website to find out when the Sprout Film Festival will be in your area. If you don't see your home on the list, request it! Until then, I hope you enjoy this fantastic video as much as I do.

No comments: