Monday, March 15, 2010

French Milk

Sadly, spring break has come to an end. I should be finishing up an Anthro midterm and writing two English papers that are due tomorrow but instead, I find myself here.

Chance and I went to the Green Valley Book Fair this weekend. We came home with about $100 worth of books. He bought mostly Anton Chekhov and Oscar Wilde. I, on the other hand, loaded up on a random assortment including a collection of New York magazine essays and The Color Purple. Among the stash was this little gem:


Although I haven't read too many graphic novels, I picked this one up because of its adorable cover that faintly reminded me of a past post from A Cup of Jo. I started reading it on the way home and was hooked. The illustrations are so fantastic and the story is fun. The book documents Lucy Knisley's trip to Paris with her mom for several weeks in celebration of their birthdays. Lucy was turning twenty-two at the time (which is how old I'll be this year), so I could easily relate to her tone, mood swings, and fear of failure upon approaching graduation from college.


I love the book's journal quality as well as the mixture of illustration and photography. It made me feel like I was listening to my friend recount stories from her trip. Lucy was great company on a dreary day. I was actually disappointed when she was gone until I discovered more of her work here. Hooray for the wonders of the internet!


(Images via comicsreporter.com)

No comments: