Sunday, August 30, 2009

Print Will Never Die

Well, I made it through my first week alive (barely). This semester is going to be insanely difficult, as I have way too much on my plate already. Nonetheless, it's really exciting because it's my last year and I'll be doing a lot of really fun things.

In case you're interested, my readings for this week include:

A Room of One's Own, Virginia Woolf
Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
Pride & Prejudice, Jane Austen
Fantomina, Eliza Haywood
Pilgrim's Progress, John Bunyan

Along with my English classes, I am also taking an Anthropology course entitled "The World at Play." We'll be discussing humor, laughter, and why people find different jokes funny. It should be really interesting!

As you can tell by my reading list, I probably won't be around much! I am still doing my internship, which is tons of fun. On Friday, I met someone who used to intern at the magazine and is now working in publishing in Moscow. If only I could be so lucky! He discussed the state of the publishing industry with me a bit and, although he believes there is a rocky road ahead, he assured me that I should ignore the recent "get out now!" philosophy. It was really nice to hear some encouraging words, especially after the doubt I've recently had regarding my plans.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A Room of One's Own is an all-time favorite {well, maybe P&P too!}. Fantastic choices.

Cheers.