Thursday, June 11, 2009

I considered keeping this bit of information to myself, but I just have to gush. Yesterday was the first official day of my internship. I woke up earlier than needed because I was nervous about the day. What would I be doing? What should I say? I just kept rolling the same thought around in my head, "if you're not getting scared, maybe you're being too safe." I just kept telling myself that the fear was good - it meant I was getting out of my comfort zone and doing something new, something exciting.

So, I arrived there a bit early. I was nervous and giddy. Maybe I laughed a little too much. Maybe I spoke in a high pitched nervous voice. Maybe my face was a bit red with embarrassment. Nonetheless, my boss was great. She showed me around, showed me where I'd be working, showed me how to log onto the computers, etc. I got my own folder on the computer, which may not sound like much to you, but really excited me. She told me all sorts of wonderful things that made me feel at ease. She started me on my first project, which will appear in the next issue of the magazine. I am SO excited. I think I'm still on a high from it all. It was ridiculously awesome. The people seem super nice. My boss (or "sponsor" as the internship people say) is flexible, warm, and fantastic. I can't sing her praises enough. She's just ideal.

The most exciting thing is I never really imagined myself with an opportunity as wonderful as this one. I am an English major and of course, I want to make use of it. I've always loved writing, but I don't know, it was just a dream I had that didn't seem like it could happen. Working at a magazine was too perfect for me to even consider. I just didn't think that was possible. Now, I know I'm just an intern, which really doesn't mean anything, but it still means so much to me. For the first time, I feel like I'm headed into a direction that fits me. It's a nice feeling. I think (I hope) this is the beginning of wonderful things!

Speaking of wonderful things, I can't help but mention this:


(Thanks to martawrites for posting this)

Growing up, I was a huge fan of Saved by the Bell (still am - and I have the DVDs to prove it). So, I seriously hope cute-as-a-button Jimmy Fallon can make this reunion happen!

No comments: